Policies & Practices
Last Updated: April 18, 2016
1 – ‘GENERAL INFO’
3. CHANGES TO POLICY
4. SPECIAL FEATURES/AFFILIATE PROGRAM
2 – StayBillety Processes
1. Info we store – general
3. Info we store – log data
4. How SB uses your info
5. How SB uses user communication
6. When SB discloses personal info and to whom
7. Info we share with 3rd party
8. Business transfers by SB
3 – USER INFO
9. Securing your personal info
10. How to change/delete/cancel account
11. Your privacy when accessing 3rd party sites
12. International users
StayBillety, Inc. (hereinafter referred to as "StayBillety", "we", "us" or "our") operates an online marketplace that allows users to find and book accommodations all over the world through our easy-to-use website.
"Aggregated Information" means information about all of our users or specific groups or categories of users that we combine together so that it no longer identifies or references an individual user.
"Data Controller" means StayBillety, the company responsible for the use and processing of Personal Information.
"Personal Information" means information relating to a living individual who is or can be identified either from that information or from that information in conjunction with other information that is in, or is likely to come into, the possession of the Data Controller.
“Business Partners” means any private, public, or other entity that StayBillety agrees to do business with.
SPECIAL FEATURES AND PROGRAMS
If you are allowed to join StayBillety's Affiliate Program (see http://www.staybillety.com/page/groups-events) and you sign up for it, you will have to provide us with certain Personal Information to enable us to provide the Affiliate Program to you.
WHAT USER INFORMATION DOES STAYBILLETY STORE?
1. Information that you give us
We receive, store and process information that you make available to us when accessing or using our Platform and Services. Examples include when you:
• fill in any form on the Platform, such as when you register or update the details of your user account, or when you supply any form of verification information;
• access or use the Platform, such as to search for or post Accommodations, make or accept bookings, pay for Accommodations, book or pay for any associated services that may be available (such as but not limited to cleaning), post comments or reviews, or communicate with other users;
• link your account on a third party site (e.g. Facebook and Craigslist) to your StayBillety account, in which case we will obtain the Personal Information that you have provided to the third party site, to the extent allowed by your settings with the third party site and authorized by you; and
• communicate with StayBillety.
StayBillety uses "cookies" in conjunction with the Platform to obtain information. A cookie is a small data file that is transferred to your device (e.g., your phone or your computer) for record-keeping purposes. For example, a cookie could allow the Platform to recognize your browser, while another could store your preferences and other information.
Your browser may allow you to set how it handles cookies, such as declining all cookies or prompting you to decide whether to accept each cookie. But please note that some parts of the Platform may not work as intended or may not work at all without cookies.
• StayBillety cookies and third party cookies
There are two types of cookies used on the Platform, namely "persistent cookies" and "session cookies". Session cookies will normally expire when you close your browser, while persistent cookies will remain on your device after you close your browser, and can be used again the next time you access the Platform.
• Other technologies
The Platform may also use other technologies with similar functionality to cookies, such as web beacons and tracking URLs to obtain Log Data about users. We may also use web beacons and tracking URLs in our messages to you to determine whether you have opened a certain message or accessed a certain link.
• Uses for StayBillety cookies
o to facilitate the efficient functioning of the Platform across different webpages and browser sessions.
o to simplify your access to and use of the Platform.
o to monitor and analyze the performance, operation and effectiveness of the Platform, so that we can improve and optimize it.
o to show you content (which may include advertisements) that is more relevant to you.
• Disabling Cookies
Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can modify your browser setting to decline cookies by visiting the Help portion of your browser's toolbar. If you choose to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in, customize, or use some of the interactive features of the Platform. Flash cookies operate differently than browser cookies, and cookie management tools available in a web browser will not remove flash cookies. To learn more about how to manage flash cookies, you can visit the Adobe website (http://www.adobe.com/) and make changes at the Global Privacy Settings Panel (http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager02.html).
2. Log Data
We may also receive, store and process Log Data, which is information that is automatically recorded by our servers whenever you access or use the Platform, regardless of whether you are registered with StayBillety or logged in to your StayBillety account, such as your IP Address, the date and time you access or use the Platform, the hardware and software you are using, referring and exit pages and URLs, the number of clicks, pages viewed and the order of those pages, and the amount of time spent on particular pages.
3. How StayBillety Uses Your Information
We use, store and process Information about you for the following general purposes:
• to enable you to access and use the Platform;
• to operate, protect, improve and optimize the Platform, StayBillety's business, and our users' experience, such as to perform analytics, conduct research, personalize or otherwise customize your experience, and for advertising and marketing;
• to help create and maintain a trusted and safer environment on the Platform and Services, such as fraud detection and prevention, conducting investigations and risk assessments, verifying the address of your listings, verifying any identifications provided by you, and conducting checks against databases such as public government databases;
• to send you service, support and administrative messages, reminders, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and information requested by you;
• where we have your consent, to send you marketing and promotional messages and other information that may be of interest to you, including information about StayBillety or general promotions for partner campaigns and services. You can unsubscribe or opt-out from receiving these communications in your settings (in the "Account" section) when you login to your StayBillety account;
• to administer referral programs, rewards, surveys, sweepstakes, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by StayBillety or our business partners; and
• to comply with our legal obligations, resolve any disputes that we may have with any of our users, and enforce our agreements with third parties.
4. How StayBillety Uses User Communications
We may, either directly or through third party companies and individuals we engage to provide services to us, review, scan, or analyze your communications with other users exchanged via the Platform for fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research and customer support purposes. For example, as part of our fraud prevention efforts, the Platform may scan and analyze messages to mask contact information and references to other websites. This helps to prevent fraudulent actors from asking Guests to send them money outside of the Platform, such as by bank transfer or other money transfer methods. We may also scan, review or analyze messages for research and product development purposes to help make search, booking and user communications more efficient and effective, as well as to debug, improve and expand product offerings. We will not review, scan, or analyze your communications for sending third party marketing messages to you. We will also not sell these reviews or analyses of communications to third parties. We will also use automated methods to carry out these reviews or analyses where reasonably possible. However, from time to time we may have to manually review some communications. By using the Platform, you consent that StayBillety, in its sole discretion, may, either directly or through third party companies and individuals we engage to provide services to us, review, scan, analyze, and store your communications, whether done manually or through automated means.
5. When StayBillety Discloses or Shares Personal Information, and to Whom
We may transfer, store, use and process your information, including any Personal Information to other countries, including the United States. Please note that laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and so the privacy laws applicable to the places where your information is transferred to or stored, used or processed in, may be different from the privacy laws applicable to the place where you are resident.
Your Personal Information may be disclosed as follows:
• Parts of your public profile page that contain some Personal Information may be displayed in other parts of the Platform to other users for marketing purposes or to the extent necessary to operate and manage referral and rewards programs.
• Your public Listing page will always include some minimum information such as the city and neighborhood where the Accommodation is located, your listing description, your calendar availability, your public profile photo and your responsiveness in replying to Guests' queries. Your public Listing page may also include aggregated demand information (such as number of page views over a period of time). Parts of your public Listing page may be displayed in other parts of the Platform to other users for marketing purposes. The Platform may also display the Accommodation's approximate geographic location on a map, such that a user can see the general area of the Accommodation.
• The Platform allows your public profile and public Listing pages to be included in search engines, in which case your public profile and public Listing pages will be indexed by search engines and may be published as search results. All site users consent to having their public profiles and public Listing pages used for search engine optimization purposes. If you change your settings or the information on your public profile or public Listing pages, third-party search engines may not update their databases quickly or at all. We do not control the practices of third-party search engines, and they may use caches containing outdated information, including any information indexed by the search engine before you change your settings or the information on your public profile or public Listing pages.
• When you submit a request to book an Accommodation, your full name will become visible to the Host. In addition, if you agree to be contacted by the Host by phone when submitting your request and the Host decides to do so, StayBillety will call your phone number first, before connecting you with the Host. We will not share your phone number unless there is a confirmed booking; if there is a confirmed booking, your phone number will become visible to the Host/Guest, who may call you directly.
• When your request to book an Accommodation is accepted by the Host or when you accept a Guest's request to book your Accommodation, we will disclose some of your Personal Information to the Host or Guest. However, your billing and payout information will never be shared with another user.
• When a Guest stays at your Accommodation or when you stay at a Host's Accommodation, we will ask you to review the Guest or the Accommodation. If you choose to provide a review, your review may be public on the Platform.
• You may link your account on a third party social networking site to your StayBillety account. We refer to a person's contacts on these third party sites as "Friends". When you create this linkage:
o your activities on the Platform may be displayed to your Friends on the Platform and/or that third party site;
o other StayBillety users may be able to see any common Friends that you may have with them, or that you are a Friend of their Friend if applicable;
o other StayBillety users may be able to see any schools, hometowns or other groups you have in common with them as listed on your linked social networking site(s); and
o the information you provide to us from the linking of your accounts may be stored, processed and transmitted for fraud prevention and risk assessment purposes.
o The publication and display of information that you provide to StayBillety through this linkage is subject to your settings and authorizations on the Platform and the third party site.
• We may distribute parts of the Platform (including your Listing) for display on sites operated by StayBillety's business partners and affiliates, using technologies such as HTML widgets. If and when your Listings are displayed on a partner's site, information from your public profile page may also be displayed.
• We may also engage third party companies and individuals, who may be located internationally, to provide services to us, including but not limited to technology services and services to help verify your identification, to conduct checks against databases such as public government databases (where legally allowed), to otherwise assist us with fraud prevention and risk assessment, and to assist us with customer service. We may provide Personal Information about you to these third parties, or give them access to this Personal Information, for the limited purpose of allowing them to provide these services. We will ensure that such third parties have contractual obligations to protect this Personal Information and to not use it for unrelated purposes.
o providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order we receive, or by applicable law; or
o based on information supplied by law enforcement, we, in our sole discretion, believe: (a) that providing notice could create a risk of injury or death to an individual or group of individuals, (b) that the case involves potential harm to minors, or (c) that harm or fraud could be directed to StayBillety, its Members, the Platform, or Services.
• We may also publish, disclose and use Aggregated Information and non-personal information for industry and market analysis, demographic profiling, marketing and advertising, and other business purposes.
6. Third-party plugins
Our Platform may use plugins which are provided and operated by third-party companies, such as Facebook's Like Button.
As a result of this, you may send to the third-party company the information that you are viewing on a certain part of our Platform. If you are not logged into your account with the third-party company, then the third party may not know your identity. If you are logged into your account with the third-party company, then the third party may be able to link information about your visit to our Platform to your account with them. Similarly, your interactions with such plugins may be recorded by the third party.
7. Business Transfers by StayBillety
1. How to Change or Delete Your Information, or Cancel Your StayBillety Account
You may review, update, correct or delete the Personal Information in your StayBillety account. If you would like to correct your information or cancel your StayBillety account entirely, you can do so by logging in to your account. Please also note that any reviews, forum postings and similar materials posted by you may continue to be publicly available on the Platform in association with your first name, even after your StayBillety account is cancelled.
2. Securing Your Personal Information
We are continuously implementing and updating administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help protect your Personal Information against unauthorized access, destruction or alteration. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, and no method of storing electronic information, can be 100% secure. So, we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your transmissions to us and of your Personal Information that we store.
3. Privacy When Accessing Third-Party Websites and Resources
4. International Users
If you reside in the EU or Japan, you may request in writing copies of your Personal Information held by us. We will provide you with a copy of the Personal Information held by us as soon as practicable and in any event not more than 40 days after receiving a valid request in writing. There may be a charge to access your personal data (which will not exceed €6.35 in Canada and £10 in the United Kingdom). We may also request proof of identification to verify your access request. All requests should be addressed to our Information Usage Department, StayBillety, Inc., 1916 Coronation Blvd., Cambridge, ON N3H 3S3.
We endeavor to keep your information accurate, complete and up to date. If your Personal Information that we hold is inaccurate, please let us know and we will make the necessary amendments, erase or block the relevant information and notify you within 40 days of your valid request that the relevant action has been taken.
You may also request the erasure of your personal data if you believe we are otherwise in breach of relevant data protection legislation. All requests should be addressed to our Information Usage Department, StayBillety, Inc., 1916 Coronation Blvd., Cambridge, ON N3H 3S3. There is no charge for making such a request.
DO YOU HAVE FEEDBACK FOR US?